Friday, January 11, 2013

True Story

So, why do I call my husband "the ninja?" It's a cute story, of course. I was sitting on a barstool in Heroes in Claremont, CA. I was waiting for him. When we lived in SoCal, we often met there because (a) it's a good bar, (b) it's about 2 blocks from the train station in Claremont, (c) it was close to my classes and (d) it was only 10 minutes from the house.

So, I was sitting there on a barstool, surfing on my Blackberry (this was circa 2010). I ran across this article from the Wall Street Journal. It was all about how "ninja" was the hot job title on resumes lately because it connoted confidence, "tool mastery", special skills and being good at handling "anything new I throw at you". I "shared" the article on Facebook and commented that it sounded exactly like my husband, both as a Manager and as a Husband. The article ends by quoting a Mr. Kawakami who is purported to be the "last living ninja" who says "A real ninja must have stealth, intelligence, a righteous heart and patience." And I was posting on Facebook about how this article was TOTALLY my husband.

Well, about the time I was posting all this, I finally looked up from my Blackberry to take another sip of my drink and there he sat on the next barstool grinning at me. I looked down at the drink already in his hand and he was already two fingers down on his Crown and Coke! I burst out laughing and everyone up and down the bar must have thought I was a maniac. But I couldn't stop! My ninja had arrived.

He's been the ninja ever since.

1 comment:

  1. Photo circa 1994. I've still got the tie tucked in my keepsake drawer. It has a Mickey Mouse pattern.

    ReplyDelete