Thursday, April 14, 2016

Finding context where none exists

I was driving to tennis tonight and had a hankering for donuts. I recalled a Krispy Kreme just a few blocks out of my way. So I detoured, ordered 2 traditional glazed and wondered.

I wondered because, like you probably do, I travel through life on most days in a very disconnected, disjointed pattern that makes sense only to myself.

But most days themes pop up. And I've decided to start trying to find those themes every day.

It's not so much that I'm looking for meaning. Honestly. I don't believe the world is trying to speak to me or any such nonsense. (Although I do believe in God and that He is speaking to me) Instead, the plan is to insert meaning where there is none.

For example, donuts made me think about context. (BTW context means "the parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning"). So, maybe the next time I crave a donut, I can stop to think of the context. What happened before? What happened after?

Another thought about context. I saw a meme today about the # 24. (Kobe Bryant, Jeff Gordon, some other sports figures I didn't know). This put my dear ShyAnn in context. She was a young light taken from this world too soon. She wore #24 in her too brief basketball career. It's not as though those other figures' fame gives context to her life. It's that her life gives me a rich context to appreciate those other people.

Context. Themes. The texture and flavor that we can enjoy living in a fast-paced, multi-media world when we take the time to connect the dots!

No comments:

Post a Comment