Monday, August 23, 2010

Hoopla

My husband and I went camping this weekend. Hereafter, he shall be known as "the ninja" or "ninja hubby" or "NH" for reasons I'll explain some day in these pages. For now, just trust me.

It is my "last hurrah" weekend trip prior to the Fall Semester at school. This semester I'm taking a heavier than normal load and I'm also acting as Teaching Assistant for my Corporate Finance professor. (Did I mention that I also work full-time and play a lot of tennis?)

Well, back to the camping trip. NH (Ninja Hubby, remember?) and I both took Friday off and loaded up the 1986 Jeep Comanche with tent, sleeping bags, camp kitchen gear and the dogs and THEIR camping gear and drove up to Mammoth Lakes, CA.

The drive through the desert was hot, noisy and windy. But neither of us requires a lot of conversation so that wasn't really a big deal. The scenery was interesting.

And we learned a lot. One of the things I learned is that there are spots on the highway between Edwards AF Base and other military installations out there where your GPS won't work - presumably it's "classified". It kept telling me I was on the 15 (the interstate to Vegas) when I was really 50 or 100 miles West of that!

One of the other things we learned is that Manzanar is on the 395 (road to Mammoth). Manzanar is the site of one of the Japanese Internment camps that were active in WWII. I read the whole article here.

We also looked up this article about Owens Lake.

But I digress. Hoopla? After we set up camp, we drove into town and bought a beautiful loaf of whole grain artisan bread generously encrusted with nuts and seeds of all shapes and sizes, a package of Sonoma Garlic Jack and the bottle of Hoopla Sauvignon Blanc shown here. NH bought this beer.











We spent the evening reading by the fire. During the evening, I had the Facebook exchange pictured below. And so now you are "in the know" about all the images that will ever be associated in my brain when I see this wine label!

No comments:

Post a Comment